If you’ve recently discovered you’re unexpectedly pregnant, you might be researching your options. Early in pregnancy, medical abortion is one of those. However, there’s much to know to safeguard your health and well-being before seeking one out.
Medical Abortion And What To Know
Medical abortion, also known as the “abortion pill,” uses two medications to terminate a pregnancy. Mifepristone blocks progesterone, while misoprostol causes uterine contractions and empties the uterus of the pregnancy.
Medical abortion is FDA-approved through 10 weeks gestation (how far along you are.) After you take the drugs, you will experience abdominal cramping and vaginal bleeding.
There are other side effects to be aware of, such as:
Am I Eligible For Medical Abortion?
It’s essential to review your health before going with this option. Medical abortion is not for you if you:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy. You shouldn’t attempt a medical abortion if you’ve been pregnant for more than nine weeks (after the start of your last period).
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place.
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus. This is called ectopic pregnancy.
- Have certain medical conditions. These include bleeding disorders; certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines.
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care.
- Have an allergy to the medicine used.
Know The Risks
Although medical abortion uses drugs, you must still understand that it is a serious medical procedure.
Here are some risks of a medical abortion you should be aware of:
- An incomplete abortion, which happens when parts of the pregnancy aren’t expelled
- Digestive system discomfort
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- An ongoing pregnancy (if the procedure doesn’t work)
Talk With Us
Deciding on abortion is a big decision, but it’s one that you don’t have to make alone.
Women’s Resource Center is equipped with a knowledgable team who can get you all the information you need surrounding your options at this time. Confirm your pregnancy by getting a no-cost pregnancy test and ultrasound. This will unlock key details to help guide you in making a well-informed decision.